Software Release Notes for Build 22
Release Date: Mar 4, 2009
Generic Release Name: B22
Public Release Name: TCS Testing using Lucifer
Specific Tests that need to be performed with the Telescope
Patches to the Release
- GCS V2.1.3
- updated the Sextractor configuration to be less sensitive when detecting stars to avoid misdetection (input from Marco Pedani)
- GCS V2.1.3
- fixed the broken Acquire Mode, so it shows images in the GUI again (IT #2054)
- resets filename data for image transfers to GUI to empty strings on exit of subsystem (IT #2050)
- fixed incorrect directory part of filename for WFS image which caused image to not be displayed in GUI (IT #2057)
- added some logging to sextractor output analysis to better detect reason for mis-identification of star.
- GCSGUI V0.1.2
- made GUI smart about Acquire mode so it remembers that there was a mode change from a previous Acquire and it will clear the window to
- ensure that the image is not mistaken to be current.
- fixed some issues with showing the Acquire mode image.
- fixed high update rate of WFS image without having a new image available
- GCS V2.1.2 B1 fixed a problem with saving duplicate acquisition images
- IIF Version 6.1
- Changed how an instrument establishes a proxy to the IIF ICE interface. This will allow any instrument (including the DIMM) to be properly registered with the IIF and be able to both read and write the Data Dictionary. This requires changes to LUCIFER, DIMM, and the IRC Client.
- Added support for move type (ABS or REL) in the RotateZ command.
- IIF Version 6.2
- A Preset will reset the Offset status to NONE.
- PCS Version 3.33e
- Protection was added to the computation of the "achieved" coordinates as the rotator encoder feedback data can have multiple duplicate entries which causes a problem in the kernel computations. The protection was added to the feedback for all three telescope axes.
- IIFGUI Version 1.20
- Display "target" coordinates instead of "achieved" per Michele.
- This release combines the old IRS with the IIF subsystem. All instruments using the ICE interface should change the IP address to "iif". This DNS entry points to lbtmu102.
- Please be aware that build 22 also incorporates all the changes, bug fixes and enhancements that were part of build 21 which observers and astronomers never got into contact with. The details of these changes are described in the release notes for build 21
- New PCS reflective memory variables which contain equatorial coordinates which correspond to the rotator center (aka pointing origin 0,0).
Operating System, System Configuration, TCS and Hardware Computers
TCS Servers / Workstations
jet computer, DSP, FPGA
TCS Subsystems and GUIs, and significant configuration files
AGw control server
- fixed a 2 second delay in relation with the break release procedure which improved positioning time
- an x,y movement can now be interrupted, the necessary command will have to be issued through an RPC call for now but will soon be implemented as a function in the client library
- the theta axis (rotation) soft limits have been adjusted but there's still a problem with the radius axis that will have to be fixed soon
AOS - Adaptive Optics
ECS - Enclosure Control
- ECS Version 2.3
- Under the circumstances the ECS subsystem is not started by "netconfig", but it is started just by invoking the ECS executable, an error message is printed to STDERR and the SYSLOG. The ECS subsystem will exit.
- SNOW MELT
- Implementation done which corresponds to ECSPLC code
- HF.Snow Melting .15 Left shutter door closed limit switch position alarm
- HF.Snow Melting .0 Right shutter door closed limit switch position alarm
- The ECS subsystem now reads two additional Host Feedback bits and loads the information into reflective memory variables. The two new variables are:
- Implementation done which corresponds to ECSPLC code
- HF.Chillers.15 Chiller 0401 Running
- HF.Chillers.0 Chiller 0402 Running
- HF.Chillers.14 Chiller cooling alarm
- The subsystem was modified to read three additional Host Feedback bits and to load the information into reflective memory variables. The new variables are:
- AIR COMPRESSORS
- Renamed current "clear alarm" command and event to "clear valve alarm" command and event
- NEW Event: ecs.airCompressor.command.resetValveAlarm
- OLD Event: ecs.airCompressor.command.resetAlarm
- NEW Command: resetValveAlarm(int)
- OLD Command: resetAlarm(int)
- Created a new command, resetCompressorAlarm, and a corresponding new event
- NEW Event: ecs.airCompr.command.resetCompressorAlarms
- NEW Command: resetCompressorAlarm(int)
- Modified the subsystem to read eight additional Host Feedback bits (alarms) and to load the information into reflective memory variables. The new variables are:
- NEW: ecs.alarm.[CA0401/CA0402]_FailToRun
- NEW: ecs.alarm.[CA0401/CA0402]_AirDryerFailToRun
- NEW: ecs.alarm.[CA0401/CA0402]_AirDryerLowDewpointAlarm
- NEW: ecs.alarm.[CA0401/CA0402]_AirDryerLowDewpointWarn
- Modified the subsystem to read eight additional rack bits (state and temperature) and to load the information into reflective memory variables. The new variables are:
- OLD: ecs.airCompr.[CA0401/CA0402]_EnableState
- NEW: ecs.airCompr.[CA0401/CA0402]_Status.enableState
- NEW: ecs.airCompr.[CA0401/CA0402]_Status.mode
- NEW: ecs.airCompr.[CA0401/CA0402]_Status.compressorState
- NEW: ecs.airCompr.[CA0401/CA0402]_Status.dryerState
- NEW: ecs.airCompr.[CA0401/CA0402]_Status.DewpointTemp
- Split the temperature "setpoint" and "deadband" values into LEFT and RIGHT components. Reminder, the reflective memory variables are:
- Implemented MANUAL and AUTOMATIC operational modes (not a PLC function) for the setting of the left and right temperature setpoint values. Manual mode allows the user to enter manually values; any values being issued by the PMC subsystems will be IGNORED. Automatic mode accepts the values being generated and issued by the PMC subsystems; this mode requires the PMC subsystems to be running. Note: additional error checking still to be added.
- ECSGUI Version 1.27
- Fixed a bug in the manner WARNINGS and ALARMS are reported on the same component
- SNOW MELT
- Modified the main Snow Melt page on the ECSGUI to accommodate the new alarms.
- CH0401 and CH0402 RUNNING/STOPPED status added to the main Chiller page of the ECSGUI.
- The Chiller_FailToCool Alarm is detected and reported.
- Added an explicit message on Chillers page: "Incoming Chilled Water Temperature TT0412 Must Be >= -10.5 C Before Summer Chiller CH0402 Will Run."
- Added XML for Enable/Disable of lights.
- AIR COMPRESSORS
- The air compressor page now displays more status information:
- Compressor State: RUNNING/STOPPED
- Mode: LOCAL/REMOTE
- Air Dryer State: RUNNING/STOPPED
- Dewpoint Temperature
- There is also a "Clear Alarm" button for the instances when the compressor state, air dryer state, or dewpoint temperature are in an Alarm or Warning situation.
- The ECSGUI incorporates the four new alarms/warnings for the air compressors/dryers and the dewpoint temperatures.
- The "setpoint" and "deadband" temperatures have been split into LEFT and RIGHT components. Further, each "setpoint" temperature can be set manually by the TO (MANUAL operation) or by the corresponding PMC subsystem (AUTOMATIC operation).
ENV - Environmental Sensors
IIF / IRS - Instrument Interface
- IIF Version 6.0
- Add the Ice Instrument Interface.
- Ice Interface: Add commands LogEvent and UpdatePointingReference. In order to use IRC with this version, IRTC v 1.3.0 must be running.
- All events created by the IIF command LogEvent have a "side" parameter.
- IRS Version 1.3.0
- Remove the IIF interface from this service. It supports only IRTC commands.
GCS - Guiding Control System
- GCS Version 2.1.2
- added GuideCam.acqImageFilename and GuideCam.acqImagePath to the DD to keep the information of the acquisition image during the closed guide loop without overwriting the information with the arrival of first guide image.
- changed GUI image transport mechanism to file access for acquisition, guide and WFS image. There's no image transfer through CommonSW happening for image visualization in the GUI anymore.
- cleaned up some glitches in relation to Sextractor support and test mode of GCS. FITS header update is now working properly even in test mode. Also fixed a problem when a guide image didn't contain a star and wasn't visualized in GUI.
- added support for SExtrator external centroiding program
- added a flag to lbt.conf to switch between internal and external centroiding: GCS.internalCentroiding true/false
- using Sextractor optionally in the acquisition procedure
- using Sextractor optionally in the guide loop procedure
- the Sextractor configuration file is /lbt/tcs/current/etc/GCS/gcs_sx.sex with all related files in /lbt/tcs/current/etc/GCS/. Please remember to let the GCS developer when you changed anything in these files and you want the changes to go into the next release!
- GCSGUI Version 0.1.1
- changed the transport mechanism for images. The filesnames are now updated in DD and the files are retrieved from disk.
- no CommonSW calls are necessary anymore to visualize acquisition, guide and WFS images. Requires GCS 2.1.2 or higher.
- now supporting GuideCam.acqImageFilename and .acqImagePath variables to show acquisition image
LSS - Logging and Events
- LSS Version 2.24
- Events are always written to the flat text file. The database is still being populated.
- LSS will issue a message if it is invoked without using 'netconfig'. It will then just exit.
- Added a new reflective memory variable (support code has not been added yet):
- lss.failed_callback_count - Incremented if a callback to a client fails.
MCS / mcstemp - Mount Control
OSS - Optical Support
- "Fixed a bug relating to initializing the secondary mirror in standby mode. If the mirror's state is 'standby' the code would not allow the mirror to be initialized. This goes against the specifications outlined in document '616a046 - M2 Hexapod Software Protocol'. The code was modified to allow the operation.
- See the release note for build 21 for a list of new features which are in this build as well.
PCS - Pointing Control
- PCS Version 3.33
- Added the computation which yields the equatorial coordinates of the rotator center (which is defined to be in the focal plane) to its corresponding location on the sky. The computation is a function of wavelength which is the value provided for the target, or the default wavelength for the instrument side.
- Added new reflective memory variables in support of the rotator center:
- An error was fixed in the readback encoder structure being returned from the MCSPU to PCS. The rotator information was being provided in arcseconds while the azimuth and elevation values were being provided in radians; Radians were expected for all values.
- The PCS compounded the initial error by improperly utilizing the encoder feedback for the rotator such that the function which is used to derive the "achieved" RA and Dec values would yield an incorrect result for these coordinates if and only if a non-zero angle were requested for the specified rotator mode AND offsets to the pointing origin were done. Please note the "achieved" coordinates currently do not report the correct values if a pointing origin offset has been done. This is an issue for LUCIFER; it is not an issue for LBC.
- Note the patched Pointing Kernel below.
- PCS Version 3.32 - Requires IIF 5.21 (not 5.22) and IRTC 1.2.00
- Can now use PCS function, UpdatePointingReference(). This function only has meaning with respect to and is to be used in conjunction with the OffsetPointing() command. The OffsetPointing() command allows the user either to change the place on the sky where the telescope is pointing, or to change the place in the focal plane where an astronomical object is imaged. This command allows the user to "save" the current sky or focal plane location achieved via the OffsetPointing() command; the location can then be used as the new reference position for the sky or focal plane. UpdatePointingReference() needs to support all offset coordinate systems which can be used with the OffsetPointing() command. OFFSET_RADEC and OFFSET_DETXY are the only systems currently fully supported by both OffsetPointing() and UpdatePointingReference(). Originally released in B18.
- The XFLIP in the LUCIFER transform is still set to TRUE. This is the configuration which LUCIFER has been using since Commissioning began. This value eventually must be changed to FALSE in coordination with the LUCIFER team.
- Added a try/catch block to the "setPointingLog()" function. If for some reason the log file cannot be created/opened/written, the error will be caught. Previously, the error would crash PCS.
- Added a failed event for this command.
- Added change to Telescope.cpp and TrajectoryGenerator.cpp to accommodate additional diagnostics. This was a patch to B20.
- Deleted events for obsolete function setNewTarget(). This function was replaced with setEquatorialTarget() in B19.
- Deleted obsolete events for setNewTarget.
- Added TEL "db_inconsistent" to the try/catch for the three working telemeters in PCS.
- Added a check on the telCollector to ensure it exists before invoking telCollector->finish().
- A pointing kernel patch was applied which now properly accounts for the dispersion correction when computing equatorial coordinates on the sky for any specified location in the focal plane.
PMC - Primary Mirror Cell
PSF - Point Spread Function
SDB - Star Database
WX - Weather Station
TCS Common Software
commandreturn - client command status returns
commandsequencer - client/subsystem command handling
core - foundation routines
datadictionary - reflective memory and event support
eventhandler - event handling
networkconfig - subsystem management
reflectivememory - global shared memory
rpc - communication protocol
setvalue - reflective memory access
tcs_config - tcs configuration
DDEditor - Data Dictionary Editor
DDBrowser - Data Dictionary Browser
DDViewer - Data Dictionary Viewer
Instruments and Environmental Sensors
DIMM - Differential Image Monitor
IRC - Infrared Test Camera Client
- IRC Version 1.3.0
- Use the new IIF architecture. It needs IIF Version 6.0.
- Improve exception handling. Clear error messages
- Add UpdatePointingReference and LogEvent commands
- Update the man pages and the command line help
LBC - LBT Binocular Camera
LBTO Weather Station - 3DWGUI
MAT - Mount Axillary Telescope
- 25 Feb 2009
Topic revision: r19 - 06 Oct 2009, NormCushing