Prev Next

ROWG Meeting Minutes 2020-09-28

Attendees: Matthieu (MB), Stephen (SH), Steve (SA). Michelle (ME), Jenny (JP), Dave (DT), Al (AC), John (JH)

Action Items

ID Owner Action Completion Date
#0 DM evaluate direct x2go access to AO machines. CR restart Mon 18/Tue 19, perfromance hit? TBD
#8 MB create conceptual sketches how remote/eavesdrop between workstation WIP inital conceptual sketches
#13 AC follow up with IA2, how the data flows from instrument, /newdata, /repository, mountain/tucson/archive  
#15 AC/SH/AC draft ops technical requirements Draft for discussion
#16 SH training how to host anydesk with Jenny Tue 17 @ 1 pm, zoom 916-654-2916 DONE, others?
#24 TBD further screen test after #21, tentatively, use screens at home for long-lapse tests (e.g., eye strain, etc.)
#26 SH 2x 42" flat 3840x2160 + 1 curved 42"+ with max pixel available, reasonably priced, restock option DONE, 2x broken replcement?
#27 ME Generate a list of applications and tests to perform for the workstations with new displays assess AnyDesk lossy compression that might depend on ethernet connection
#28 all Capture your user experience and feedback to be compiled at the end of the exercise  
#29 MB Continue draft document address 1) data dissemination, 2) unattended Tucson
#30 SH VPN traffic segregation DONE
#31 SH new rooms and workstations c19 DONE
#32 ME reboot schedule policy  
#33 MB schedule automation  
#34 JP robs issue IT  
#35 ME make sure instructions to restart the obs machine shared with ISA/SO (lead support)  


  • tech document
    • how do we deal with remote observer loosing connection? OSA calls -who- ?
    • 4G backup, e.g. push some OBs, logs? not remote observing, more handover team B
      • smart phone (zoom/phone) enough to contact?
      • cost is small. config might need some practice. Signal strength within a building?
      • make 4G backup a recommendation more than a requirement - make it clear this is left to the partners' IT team.
    • fallback to Queue - would need pre-agreement (FTE), not possible.
    • likelyhood of occurence?

  • good progress with LBC / robs, few areas (harcoded path, rb_science, missing scripts) need a bit more work
    • Olga, Yang, Stephen, Carl teamwork went great, scheduling next iteration
    • Yang's new ideas about rb_science (email)
    • in parallel not needed but promising next steps Alex progresses on lbttools python3 conversion

  • obs workstation reboot schedule policy ?
    • done on change of team
    • manual or automated? undecided for now.
      • Manually for now until decided otherwise (AI #35)
      • Who is responsible to do it? the lead supports: ISA/SO
      • SH shared the instruction, ME to share with sciops.
    • does it really really makes any difference?
      • We'll know from nightlog/ITs

  • Operation model document - next steps?
    • ME and MarkW agreed, bring Christian in the loop and agree.
    • discussions for now, draft next.

  • LBTI woes on 6-screens?
    • last run was particularly bad, but earlier runs not so.
    • JP experience with 530 was fine
    • monitor how it evolves, wait to hear from LBTI post-run debrief.

  • anydesk obs5/6 / fedora30 - busy time, not much happened.

  • foreseeable IT budget implication with ROWG
    • maybe a question more for Stephen.

  • remote observing and other observatories past C19
    • discussion for Oct 12 meeting.
    • observing from home, Steward for us always a backup. Same for other partners.

  • What's next
    • finish the tech draft with 4G amendment (AC, MB)
    • operational model document update (ME)
    • next meeting Mon Oct 12, same zoom, same time.

Topic revision: r2 - 29 Sep 2020, MatthieuBec
This site is powered by FoswikiCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding Foswiki? Send feedback