ROWG Meeting Minutes 2020-09-28
Attendees: Matthieu (MB), Stephen (SH), Steve (SA). Michelle (ME), Jenny (JP), Dave (DT), Al (AC), John (JH)
|| Completion Date
|| evaluate direct x2go access to AO machines.
|| CR restart Mon 18/Tue 19, perfromance hit? TBD
|| create conceptual sketches how remote/eavesdrop between workstation
|| WIP inital conceptual sketches
|| follow up with IA2, how the data flows from instrument, /newdata, /repository, mountain/tucson/archive
|| draft ops technical requirements
|| Draft for discussion
|| training how to host anydesk with Jenny Tue 17 @ 1 pm, zoom 916-654-2916
|| DONE, others?
|| further screen test
|| after #21, tentatively, use screens at home for long-lapse tests (e.g., eye strain, etc.)
|| 2x 42" flat 3840x2160 + 1 curved 42"+ with max pixel available, reasonably priced, restock option
|| DONE, 2x broken replcement?
|| Generate a list of applications and tests to perform for the workstations with new displays
|| assess AnyDesk lossy compression that might depend on ethernet connection
|| Capture your user experience and feedback to be compiled at the end of the exercise
|| Continue draft document
|| address 1) data dissemination, 2) unattended Tucson
|| VPN traffic segregation
|| new rooms and workstations c19
|| reboot schedule policy
|| schedule automation
|| robs issue IT
|| make sure instructions to restart the obs machine shared with ISA/SO (lead support)
- tech document
- how do we deal with remote observer loosing connection? OSA calls -who- ?
- 4G backup, e.g. push some OBs, logs? not remote observing, more handover team B
- smart phone (zoom/phone) enough to contact?
- cost is small. config might need some practice. Signal strength within a building?
- make 4G backup a recommendation more than a requirement - make it clear this is left to the partners' IT team.
- fallback to Queue - would need pre-agreement (FTE), not possible.
- likelyhood of occurence?
- good progress with LBC / robs, few areas (harcoded path, rb_science, missing scripts) need a bit more work
- Olga, Yang, Stephen, Carl teamwork went great, scheduling next iteration
- Yang's new ideas about rb_science (email)
- in parallel not needed but promising next steps Alex progresses on lbttools python3 conversion
- obs workstation reboot schedule policy ?
- done on change of team
- manual or automated? undecided for now.
- Manually for now until decided otherwise (AI #35)
- Who is responsible to do it? the lead supports: ISA/SO
- SH shared the instruction, ME to share with sciops.
- does it really really makes any difference?
- We'll know from nightlog/ITs
- Operation model document - next steps?
- ME and MarkW agreed, bring Christian in the loop and agree.
- discussions for now, draft next.
- LBTI woes on 6-screens?
- last run was particularly bad, but earlier runs not so.
- JP experience with 530 was fine
- monitor how it evolves, wait to hear from LBTI post-run debrief.
- anydesk obs5/6 / fedora30 - busy time, not much happened.
- foreseeable IT budget implication with ROWG
- maybe a question more for Stephen.
- remote observing and other observatories past C19
- discussion for Oct 12 meeting.
- observing from home, Steward for us always a backup. Same for other partners.
- What's next
- finish the tech draft with 4G amendment (AC, MB)
- operational model document update (ME)
- next meeting Mon Oct 12, same zoom, same time.