ROWG Meeting Minutes 2020-09-14
Attendees: Al (AC), Dave (DT), Matthieu (MB), Stephen (SH), Steve (SA). Michelle (ME), Jenny (JP), Barry (BR), Doug (DM)
|| Completion Date
|| evaluate direct x2go access to AO machines.
|| CR restart Mon 18/Tue 19, perfromance hit? TBD
|| create conceptual sketches how remote/eavesdrop between workstation
|| WIP inital conceptual sketches
|| follow up with IA2, how the data flows from instrument, /newdata, /repository, mountain/tucson/archive
|| draft ops technical requirements
|| Draft for discussion
|| training how to host anydesk with Jenny Tue 17 @ 1 pm, zoom 916-654-2916
|| DONE, others?
|| further screen test
|| after #21, tentatively, use screens at home for long-lapse tests (e.g., eye strain, etc.)
|| 2x 42" flat 3840x2160 + 1 curved 42"+ with max pixel available, reasonably priced, restock option
|| DONE, 2x broken replcement?
|| Generate a list of applications and tests to perform for the workstations with new displays
|| assess AnyDesk lossy compression that might depend on ethernet connection
|| Capture your user experience and feedback to be compiled at the end of the exercise
|| Continue draft document
|| address 1) data dissemination, 2) unattended Tucson
|| VPN traffic segregation
|| new rooms and workstations c19
|| reboot schedule policy
|| schedule automation
|| robs issue IT
- Deliverable (per board) - split in two sections (/documents?)
- Technical requirements to be finalized (AC/SH/MB)
- AI: bring the draft for consumption to partners level with AC, SH, MB
- Operation model document - sciops/obsdev?
- different mode and impact on FTE for support. Mark and Michelle, Christian need to better address the question.
- maybe best to split and divorce the two tech/operation model documents.
- experience will let us learn more about the model as remote operation. Tech phase 1 to get started, then we can iterate if phase 2.
- home setup survey (Michelle, Jenny)
- AnyDesk at the mountain / obs6 (SH)
- progress currently imparied by ops-related issue (DIMM). Few weeks for IT.
- obs2-4 for operation "as usual"
- Access to data (AC) - use the archive tbc.
- IA2 will not provide any tool
- observers need vpn+scp for copying fits themselves (70% of cases they don't, but 30% they do), non-lead observers may not be able to use the archive, and will have a learning curve using it.
- pre-covid, when observers were coming at LBTO, they would have access to everything.
- obs restart on new partners shift (JP)
- SH would like to understand the issue, use robs as much as possible.
- BR killing the RTD seems to help, firefox also (LBC guis)
- robs not behaving the same as the 507 (64 bits) - JP is preparing an email
- robs is the recommended station for IT, need to know and fix the issues.
- JP: run locally all the application as much as possible
- start of obs-run schedule.
- people kicked out? operation should prevail.
- make announcement at the daily 3:30pm meeting, winter is 2:30pm
- everyday? once a week? when run starts?
- conclusion: to be discussed at SciOps and concluded next ROWG.
- AI for now, restart for the run that starts tomorrow - obs-2,3,4
- is there a calendar and that can be automated - something better than a PDF (there is a google sheet)
- JP robs doesn't work well with Luci - not possible for operation
- AI: create an IT
- mods/lbc still stuck with 32bits stations.
- progress is slow because Yang on other task. this should be lead by him + Olga.
- appears to work, but like any other obs machine (bogs down after a while)
- VPN lead observers vs others?
- When shall we meet again - 2 weeks tentatively
- tech draft for review
- obs station reboot schedule policy
- 15 May 2020