INAF LBC+MODS queue observing, 2012 January 18-19
Observer: K. Boutsia, R. Speziali
Telescope Operator: S. Allanson
Support Astronomer: O. Kuhn
Thin cirrus on the horizon at twilight but most of the sky was clear.
We have not been able to use MODS tonight because of a technical issues . Actually a piece of the inner baffling came undone and was blocking the red channel. ~3hr lost because of this and we had to make significant adjustments to our observing plan.
We switched to LBC but it has been really hard to keep the focus at the beginning because of big temperature changes and the seeing was variable between 1.2''-1.6''.
We did use the focus.obs and we were doing lbcrangebal before each new target.
We had to perform extra collimation in the middle of OBs, and FPIA would take longer than expected in some instances.
When we finally reached thermal equilibrium the images were round and the seeing stabilized <1.2'', with parts of the night <1.0''.
|| g-Sloan / r-Sloan
|| problems with collimation at the beginning - it should be within specs
|| B-bess / i-Sloan
|| most of the image have <1.1'' seeing. The project was finished at airm. 1.5 (PI request 1.2)
|| g-Sloan / r-Sloan
|| most of the exposures have <1.0'' seeing.
|| airmass 1.3''
|| airmass 1.1''
Starting up MODS
- mods1 start gui
- execMODS ~MODSeng/modsScripts/Support/modsWake.pro
The dimm gives 1.5'' seeing ... we have trouble collimating close to mac0647 ( that is relatively low right now, 35elev...), so we go to a standard star that is in higher elevation (the one that Radovich uses)..
mods1b 0001 / mods1r 0005
- there is some dark structure obsuring the upper left corner of the image and it is not the guide probe.
- we do an offset to try and understand what this is... of course then we will need to repeat the acquisition
calling Rick -MODS is KO for tonight - we cannot use it!
3:50 switching to LBC
Slew to ACT0318 for pointing correction and collimation
- dimm seeing 1.5''
_all - standard star
_all with all necessary filters (airmass 1.12)
SA98_UsgrBrizy (aimass 1.3)
- for dofpia and lbcrangebal
Giallongo_RXJ0926_GR1 (airmass - 1.65... the PI asks for 1.3)
- seeing on the images: blue 1.6'' / red 1.35''
- according to the ETC between airmass 1.6 and 1.3 you expect to loose 0.07mag in the gsloan and 0.02mag in the rsloan... so we keep going
- seeing is marginally within spec for the blue and well within spec for the red
- seeing on the images: blue 1.4'' / red 1.3''
* seeing on the images: blue 1.2'' / red 1.1''
abort OB because images are out of focus... there is a lot of coma, especially in the red band.
- since the last time we collimated the temp has changed 1.5deg
- by the time the red was converged the blue developed coma
- repeat dofpia,/X2
- seeing on the images is ~1.4''
abort again because the blue images are elongated
- and call Andrew
slew to Piotto for collimation and lbcrangebal
- seeing on images ~1.1'' but dimm 1.4''
- the blue is shifting out of focus!!!!
- the seeing on the blue side is 1.4'' and ~1.1 on the red
*08:20 OB stopped because the blue channel is loosing focus. It was 1.4". Red was 1".
- The blue channel is not sending AO corrections since the stars in the tech chip are too faint.
- Both tech chips have stars though...
- dofpia - it took 5!!! iterations to converge!
- first image both channels ~1.0'' seeing
- dimm 1.2''
- now also the blue is sending corrections
- seeing on the images ~1.0''
- dimm seeing 1.2''
- seeing on the image ~1.1''
- this OB had the red filter black and we changed it putting i-sloan as for the rest
- with the i-sloan for the red channel
- seeing in both channels ~1.0''
- it ends with a seeing of ~1.1 on the images
- the blue channel was more out of focus than the red...
- seeing in the image ~1.0''
- airmass ~1.45 at the end of the OB but seeing <1.0''
- the program finished at 1.55 airmass and the seeing was <0.9'' for these last exposures
- we hope they will consider it finished!!
- dofpia and lbcrangebal
- it is not converging - after 7 iterations we exit dofpia and double the exptime
- seeing measured on images <0.9''
- seeing getting worse ~1.2'' but we are in twilight
Slew for flats
counts start to be high enough for flats
- g-sloan / i-sloan - PA=0, 1sec/1sec (x10) - counts 10000 to 40000
- g-sloan / i-sloan - PA=180, 1sec/1sec (x6) - counts - too high only 1 image obtained
- B-bessel / r-sloan - PA=180, 1sec/1sec (x2) - counts 15000 - 30000
- B-bessel / r-sloan - PA= 0, 1sec/1sec (x1.5) - counts >30000
End of night
- 19 Jan 2012