INAF LBC+LUCIFER queue observing, 2011 June 24 -25
Observer: R. Speziali, K. Boutsia
Telescope Operator: G. Bechetti
Support Astronomer: D. Thompson
Clear night with seeing ranging from 0.6'' to 0.9''.
We lost a total of 1h45min due to telescope and instrument problems: 30min because of lucifer (the mask mechanism got stack) and 1h15min because of the telescope (30min for pointing and collimation at the beginning of the night which is excessively long and 45min because rotator hit limits and we had to repeat a MOS acq).
|| 200_H+K - OrderSep
|| arc+flat+tell BUT during the first offset the guide star was not reachable and the telescope was not guiding- for 500sec the object is not in the slit
|| H (img)
|| J (img)
|| Ks (img)
|| 200_H+K - OrderSep
|| requested by Turatto for calibration
|| 210_zJHK - H
|| arc+flat + Tell (?) - the telluric was not visible when we acquired the field - after manually placing it in a slit we obtained 2 spectra
- Twilight flats Ks,J,H
- Ks :
0071-0090 (15000 - 9000cnts) /
0091-0100 (5000-6000cnts) /
- H :
0111-0120 (13000 - 10000cnts) /
0131-0140 (5000-3500cnts) /
- J :
0121-0130 (14000 - 10000cnts) /
0141-0150 (5000-3500cnts) /
- Correct pointing
- error committing telescope - no guide star found
- correct pointing again
- STD_GD153_SpecAcquisitionTemplate.txt again - failed
- need to go back to a BS star because we are out of focus and this is why it does not find the guide star
- seeing on the guider 0.8''
- seeing on the guider 0.6''
- during the first offset the guide star was out of reach
- for the first 1000sec of exposure we were not guiding
- the SN can be seen in the first two images but NOT in the last 2 (
0181-0182) - maybe they can be used as 'sky'
- after it did the offset the guide star was found and in the rest of the images we can see the spectrum again
- star was saturated - we decided to put a Br-gamma filter for the through-slit image
- Tellurics best acquired with NB filters - note to be sent to PI
- Calib Unit IN
- Calib Unti OUT
- magrini_acq_sci.txt - MOS error!!! - preset failed
- David has to recover the error
- storage to turn-out - translator went to the mask- head rotation power on- grabbed the mask - unlock the mask
- the error is known as 'disconnect error'
- the starts for the MOS acq are too faint.
- we need to repeat increasing exposure time
- the new exp time is DIT=20 NDIT=6 and we also changed the filter to J so that the background is lower
- after the MOS acquisition the mask still seems not well aligned
- probably the PI should have put more alignment stars.
- we try to apply rotation and offsets manually so that we can center the sources in the 2 square slits
- final offsets applied PA=0.15deg, x,y=-0.24,0.24 and again PA=0.15deg
- this whole procedure took us almost 50min
- during the 8th offset the rotator hit a limit and the preset was canceled
- 7 offsets executed
- we need to repeat the MOS acq after the telescope gets unwrapped
- we applied again the offsets manually in order to center the mask
- almost 30 min lost because of rotator error!
- offset Y=+1.5 to center mask
- seeing on the guider is 1.0''
* DIMM 0.9''
- lucifer gives temperature warnings...
- Calib unit ON -
0291 - 0299
- Calib unit OUT
- we find no guiding star
- correct pointing
- magrini_tell_acq_PiHer.txt - no guide star again
- we take an image anyway to see if the star is in the field
- we see no star in the field - only a ghost on the left side
- we offset x,y=120,0 and we see the star in the lower left side
- we take a through-slit image and we manually center the star in one slit (presumably the one that the PI intended)
- we take some spectra but during the big offset the preset is canceled. In the first two frames we can see the telluric
- the image
0313 is supposed to be the telluric after changing slit but we see nothing... preset canceled - image taken outside the script
- the coordinates in the tell script do not correspond to PiHer as mentioned in the title
- we had to do a huge manual offset in order to see the telluric - WHY??
- End of night - DoDarks
- 25 Jun 2011