UT 03 Jun 2020
Restart Night Log for C19 Restart
OSA: D. Gonzalez Huerta (LBTO Remote Room), J. Hill (Tucson)
ISA: O. Kuhn (Tucson)
Nighttime Mtn Assistant: T. Forsyth
Mtn Manager: R. Hansen
- Telescope Check
- Test preset telescope
- Open/Close Shutter Doors
- Test Polycom w/Zoom setup
- LBC to start if sunset is clear - Skyflats
- MODS to start if cloudy at sunset
- MODS AGW checkouts
- MODS test OBs
- Photometric Standards
- Spectrophotometric Standards
- LBC collimation
- LBC superfoc
- LBC test OBs (sidereal and NS)
- MCG+05-40-000 17:12:12.0 28:25:00.0 - up all night
- Dumbell Nebula (11pm onwards)
- C/2017 T2 (Panstarrs) NS - start of night
- C/2019 K7 (Smith) NS - end of night
- Photometric Standards
- Spectrophotometric Standards
- LBC ITs
Last night we completed a basic checkout of MODS and the LBCs. We started with MODS and observed a spectrophotometric standard in dual + red grating and dual prism modes, we made a long-slit science observation and then a non-sidereal dithered & guided imaging observation. We ran into a copointing check violation during the non-sidereal observation, which was resolved by disabling the copointing check. We switched to the LBCs after midnight, but still started with the glass about 3 deg warmer than the ambient. The difference was down to 2 deg the last time I checked, but still collimation (dohybrid and dofpia) would not converge and we could see the higher order spherical building up. I stopped each run of FPIA with a shift-S just so that we could move on to take some science-like data. The seeing was ~1" or less, but IQ was poor and changing. We took some guided & dithered sidereal images at Bessell & SDSS filters, then made a non-sidereal guided & dithered observation. Finally we ended with skyflats. We obtained some good flats at each of the filters: in LBCB, g, V, B and in LBCR, r and R. The night did not start out photometric, but I think it was clear during the second half. I did not take LBC standards, but I think that photometry from the images might be good. I didn't see clouds at sunrise or on the allsky during the 2nd half.
Some problems aside from the temperature-related problems with LBC collimation:
- mods1r is showing it seems a quite high frequency of bad reads: 5 in the past 24 hours. Notes added to IT 5862.
- an error with the copointing check for the MODS NS observation
- No IT or emails sent yet about the following:
- telescope logs not where LBTPlot expects them (there is no 2020/06 directory under /lbt/logs) so the LBC guiding corrections do not show up in LBTplot.
- permissions issue preventing viewing Tucson Repository for all dates since restart (can access 20200318 and earlier, but not 20200529 and later)
- a screenshot caused rm507-1 to hang
On the whole, it was a nice night and the communications and connections all worked pretty well, from my perspective. I am not sure how others perceived it, though.
01:30 MODS1 Blue fiber swapped, seqinit. MODS both awake and sieveSnaps being taken.
01:30 Turning on the LBCs.
01:50 Sky does not look so bad. I am going to take MODS twilight flats with a comment in the header.
Running a mods script to see how long the PROPID can be. "abcdefghijk-2020A-lbt-mods/LBT-2019B-008" does not crash the system. There is an LBTB script that has a very long PROPID.
02:27 Terry, John H, David GH and I (plus Josh as a spectator) are all on the polycom & zoom: lbtopolycom. Connection! (correction... we did not yet have the rm507 polycom connection. We are bringing that in now, 03:55 UT)
02:34 clouds around us, but above it is pretty nice. Error on a vent door, but that is not delaying opening. Delaying opening for some clouds.
03:15 execBinoMODS gi_Dual_1Ktest_Blank16+55.txt ... just a test of the pair of SkyFlat
scripts: 1K test (gen from OT) and 3K observing (from my template in ~modseng/modsScripts/modsCalib/SkyFlats/ SkyFlat
- execBinoMODS gi_Dual_1Ktest_Blank16+55.txt
- execMODS --mods1 --bino -e gi_skyflat_obs.txt
- "-e" was used to skip to exec block and the test was here to insure that not filling in the coords, but leaving them as hh:mm:ss dd:mm:ss did not matter.
- test also checks that no guide filter, no guide star coords does not cause a problem for the track preset. It does not.
03:29 Slewing to a pointing star near HZ44. There is cirrus, but we'll observe this in dual, red grating and dual prism modes.
03:35 David is reporting some GCSGUI sluggishness. John, David and I are all running GCSGUIs through x2go's. I see both GCSGUIs (x2go on to obs3) and they are updating. John and I closed our GUIs in the hope that David's GUIs would speed up and they seem to be working better on his setup now.
03:49 Closing for clouds.
04:32 Reopening. On the mountain, they lost the HBS, polycom, allsky + weather for a while.
04:49 Back to a pointing star near HZ44.
04:58 Collimation off-axis. HBS oil is heating up. TA 22 C, but ambient temp is ~12 C. Dan is assisting.
05:22 acqBinoMODS hz44acq.txt
- mods1r.20200603.0009.fits shows a readout error. 2nd one today.
- modsAlign -r mods1r.20200603.0010.fits
- MODS1 Offset Command: offsetxy -0.206 11.170 rel, tweaking by offsetxy -0.378 0.221 rel
- modsAlign -r mods2r.20200603.0010.fits
- MODS2 Offset Command: offsetxy 4.506 7.295 rel, tweaking by offsetxy -0.424 0.256 rel
- 0012 will be the 2nd set of confirmatory thru-slit images.
05:37 execBinoMODS hz44dualgrating.txt, followed by hz44redgrating.txt
06:00 bringing up my GCSGUIs again. Seeing is ~0.8".
06:22 acqBinoMODS q1704acq1.txt PA=22 deg. Guide star not found on right side and so David will correct the pointing here.
06:31 Retrying after pointing correction.
- modsAlign 1 offsetxy -0.506 10.851 rel
- modsAlign 2 offsetxy 4.343 7.042 rel
- gave -2 pix adjustment to mods1 and -0.15" to mods2 --> 25
06:45 Taking a series of 3 5-min exposures on the target. Seeing is about 1.1" here.
- mods1r: 26-28, mods1b: 15-17
07:11 NS test. Slewing to 2017 UR4 to take a series of guided, dithered MODS images.
- after first exposure at 10, 10, it will pause and I will offset more
- blocked; try to shorted exposure time. did so
- mods2b 18, mods2r 28, mods1b 18, mods1r 29 (3rd seq problem today). repeating mods1r
- tried a 10" 10" detxy offset and then updated pointing
- resume dither sequence, so now it is going to -10, -10 but exposing. MODS is in a race condition, aborting.
07:37: Trying again, but this time with the lines to make a syncoffset to the upper left quadrant and then updatepointing before starting the series of exposures.
- set WFS exptime to 7000ms
- m1b 19-21, m1r 31, m2b 20, m2r 30.
- 07:45 UT. copointing limit check violated on -10 -10 offset (before m2b22 and m2r32), but we wonder why. The script made a -20 40 sync offset, then issued an updatepointng, after which it was commanded to dither by (detxy abs): (-10", 10"), (-10", -10"), (+10", -10") (see below). David diabled the copointing limit check and I retried the offset. It worked.
offsetxy -20 40 abs
#OFFSETXY 10.000 10.000 abs
BLUE FILTER g_sdss
BLUE EXPTIME 60.0
BLUE NIMGS 1
BLUE CCDBIN 1 1
RED FILTER r_sdss
RED EXPTIME 60.0
RED NIMGS 1
RED CCDBIN 1 1
OFFSETXY -10.000 10.000 abs
OFFSETXY -10.000 -10.000 abs <--- co-pointingLimitError performed. Target on side right is greater than 51" from the computed midpoint: Error limit is 50.
OFFSETXY 10.000 -10.000 abs
07:55: Reconfiguring for LBCs
08:22 Sending preset to the copointing field for our LBC field for the night, MCG+05-40-000 (17:11, +28d)
Waiting for file in /newdata/lbc?.20200603.??????.fits
******* WARNING *******
Data files DID NOT appear in /newdata
Pls double check and then: press Q to exit or any other key to continue
First images had strong coma. b
John applied -0.8mm X on both sides, but I then allowed WRS to analyze these images and send the corrections, so the results will not be very meaningful.
08:38 Clearing active optics. John applying -0.8mm X on both sides. Now I am running dohybrid (or perhaps I just ran dofpia)
- b 083946 and r 083941. These appear to have less coma than before, but they still have coma.
- Collimation is not converging, we are seeing high order spherical. The mirrors are 3C above the ambient. I'm stopping this with "S" but I was too late.
08:53 Clearing active optics again. The -0.8mm X global offset is in. John is turning off the Z22 gains.
- dohybrid. The first blue image has z7 now, but the DX side has z8. WRS introduced astigmatism (see 085752). We may need to turn off astig in WRS.
- dohybrid thinks it converged, but blue definitely has not. It still has astig , 090036.
09:00 Blue said it converged but it had not - it found only 1 pupil and then rejected it.
09:00 We are clearing active optics and repeating dohybrid. Left: glass 15, ambient 12.8. This time it looks like wrs did not introduce astig.
- Blue side - all pupils are being rejected. Could be because the background, with the moon, is too high. Giving a "S" to stop gracefully.
09:14 Launching a science-like OB which will guide and dither.
- Us,g,r and z,i,r
- 091442 and 091432
- guiding is working, although LBTplot is not showing it because the logs are not on obs1 in the expected location (they are on tcs1, just not on obsN).
- dithering is working. compare 092402 with 091432.
09:35 Clearing active optics. Collimating again. I'd forgotten to copoint so will do that and take a series at Bessell filters.
- 094010, 094002 are the first fpia...
- "S" to stop it because it is not converging.
- CP images: 094327 and 094323
- offsets SX: dX = -0.255, dY = -0.06, dRX = -1.287, dRY = 5.5
- offsets DX: dX = +0.200, dY = -0.111, dRX = -2.384, dRY = -4.282
09:49 Run a few Bessel exposures.
10:20 A printscreen issued on rm507-1 hung the computer. Trying to find a process to kill or recover the x2go session. David recovered this by terminating old x2go and starting a new one - he found everything up and running.
10:25 Sending preset to the copointing star for 2017 UR4.
- dofpia --- we never really achieved collimation, but temps are still out of whack with glass ~ 2 deg warmer than ambient.
- a VERY crowded field for collimation. The first pupils do not look so bad, but z22 corrections are -100, so I am "S"ing to stop it gracefully.
10:32 Sending the NS OB (edited to make PA = 0 for both sides). This will take a series of 9 dithered 60-sec exposures on both sides.
10:37 Stopping to try to collimate better. It seems that it was going in the right direction earlier.
- It was again giving -ve Z22 and not converging. I stopped it again and will run the OB.
10:44 Copointing. b 104634 r 104625
10:50 Running the science OB on 2017 UR4. Starting with b 105145 and r 105137. Sidereal. Red IQ is poor. Blue is looking OK.
10:56. Running the science OB but NS.
10:58 Trying to collimate to improve Red, but it is not going, really.
11:00 One more try on the NS OB, this time with NS tracking.
11:17 Rotational trailing test.
- Slew to copoint/collimation field at RA~LST and DEC=29:24.
- dofpia, ended by "S"
- copoint ... sky is already 17th mag. Abandoning this to get sky flats
11:29 Slew to Blank 19+55
- gr test ~8000
- gr dither 3x then 1x. 3 good ones at g, and 2 (maybe 3) at r
- VR 0deg 0.5x starting with 113841 and 113833 (11k - 17k and 8k - 15k counts)
- BR 180deg 0.5x starting with 114332 and 114329 (22k 45 - and 24k - 48)
- missed Us and z flats, too bright.
11:52 Closing up. Will do some cals. Note, the debris at the bottom left corner of the MODS1 images is gone.
|| MODS1 B
|| MODS1 R
|| MODS2 B
|| MODS2 R
| biases 8K
| biases 4K
| biases 3K
| biases 1K
| imflats dual u & r
| imflats dual g & i
| imflats dual z
| imflats red r,i,z
|| 70,71, nimgs in mods2 red script is 1 not 5
| imflats red r,i,z
| imflats red r,i,z
| grlamps dual
| prlamps dual
| pixflats dual
14:40 Done with calibrations.
- MODS 5" and 1" slit flats dual
- MODS 5" red
- MODS pix flats red
- MODS lamps: red
The TBD cals were done on 20200606.
- MODS 5" dual slit flats: m1b: 3-8, m1r: 3-5, m2b: 3-8, m2r: 3-5
- MODS 1" dual slit flats: m1b: 9-14, m1r: 6-11, m2b: 9-14, m2r: 6-11
- MODS 5" red slit flats: m1r: 12-14 , m2r: 12-14
- pix flats red: m1r: 15-19, m2r: 15-19
- grlamps red: m1r: 20-22,24-26, m2r: 20-22
- m1r 20 - Ne lamp did not fire! sigh... again??. Repeated with a test (23) and the sequence (24), Ne came on for these two additional exposures. I noticed it was on when I checked MODS last night around 22:00, so it could have been on for ~10 hours, since the test through the PCI machine which finished ~12:20pm Friday.
mods1r bad reads: <br
20200602.0005 (on Ne test)
20200603.0085 (on Ne+Hg)
20200603.0089 (also on Ne+Hg)
- 03 Jun 2020