Engineering Night - UT 28 Sep 2020
OSA; J. Williams
ISp: C. Bolyard
ISA: B. Rothberg (secret bunker not on the mountai), O. Kuhn (Tucson)
Mtn Manager: J. Prothro
Breakdown of Night:
- Evening Twilight ends at 19:37 - LBC skyflats
- 19:37-22hr LBC Engineering Tasks
- copoint (work with TMS system)
- Superfocus sequence at different PAs
- extra/intra-focal pupils
- 22:00-22:20hr - LBC photometric standards
- 22:20-23:30hr - 2020 SO LBC observations
- 23:30-03:30 hr - PEPSI observations
- 03:40-04:40 hr - GRB spectroscopic followup with MODS
- 04:40-twlight - continue with imaging of GRB host
Possible Engineering Tasks:
- Test SX Gregorian M1 LUT for Z9 (consumes zero time on-sky, JMH will install in afternoon)
- LBC skyflats in twilight
- LBC Superfocus sequence - 2-3 hrs (high priority)
- Collect TMS data in parallel on DX
- OSCO - can be executed by the OSA (medium priority)
- pseudo-speckle mode (requires ESM and DL AO) - would need AO support for the night (medium priority)
- M3 pupil wobble re-test (low priority)
- Field aberration data collection (low priority)
UT 00:34 - waking LBCs (Olga), and MODS (Barry)
UT 00:48 - sievesnaps complete
UT 01:30 - LBC Sky flats at Blank 19+59 field.
- 01:40 Starting S and z flats. Counts are a bit low so I am repeating with a scale factor 5.
- 01:48 Starting g and i flats with scale factor 3.
- 02:00 Starting g and i flats are scaled by 7. We didn't get the LBCB flats for the 2020 SO program to be done later.
UT 02:08 - Heejoo is turning on the TMS laser
UT 02:08 = Slewed to the first field. The TMS laser is taking a while to stabilize.
- Noting: mirrors are in pretty good equilibrium. SXg = 11.67, SXa=11.58 and DXg = 11.73 and DXa = 11.44
UT 02:25 - The TMS sw needs to be restarted so we'll collimate without it for now.
UT 02:26 - On el 70 field (67 deg), running dohybrid.
- dohybrid on robs runs into an error when trying to write the FINDPUP_results file in /home/lbceng/WRSSave/
- on robs, we also need to be sure we have a working directory like /scratch. I am unsure of where we can work on data on robs.
- dohybrid from obs3. Converged but it appears that the final blue image (023951) has some residual astigmatism.
- UT 02:43 Extra-/Intra-focal pair at +/- 0.5 (BEFORE COPOINT)
- UT 02:47 Copointing: b 024804 and r 024800. Offsets were less than 8 arcsec
- UT 02:54 Extra-/Intra-focal pair again (AFTER COPOINT)
UT 03:00 - On el 70 field. I am repeating the focus/collimation since it did not appear to have converged well for Blue.
- UT 03:01 dofpia (looks like it did take out some z5 on the blue side).
- UT 03:05 Extra-/Intra-focal (exin) pair
- UT 03:08 superfoc PA=0
- UT 03:17 superfoc PA=180
- UT 03:24 superfoc PA=0
- UT 03:32 exin focal pair (elev currently 66 deg)
UT 03:35 - Going to the el55 field at 20h30m+65
- UT 03:36 dofpia (from robs)
- it is not loading the ob (RB_lowextra.ob)
- UT 03:46 dofpia finished (had to run it on obs3)
- UT 03:46 copointing b 034645 and r 034640. Corrections were <~2.6" on the mirror and on the mount, also delta CE < 3"
- UT 03:52 Switching over to the winter chiller
- UT 03:53 exin focal pair
- UT 03:56 superfoc PA=0
- UT 04:07 superfoc PA=180
- UT 04:13 superoc PA=0
- UT 04:22 exin focal pair
UT 04:22 The TMS laser is running. It was necessary to powering off/on the TMS machine in the AUX control room.
UT 04:25 - Going to el75a field at 23h +35d dec.
- UT 04:27 running dofpia
- UT 04:33 copointing b 43418 and 43414. Mirror motions are < 1.5" but mount offset is larger, CE ~ 11".
- This was the largest copointing correction of the night, larger than the starting one.
- UT 04:38 exin focal pair
- UT 04:42 superfoc PA=0
- UT 04:50 superfoc PA=180
- Heejoo has noted that as M1 is commanded to step in Z, he sees a change in the diameter along the elevation axis (z6). The diameter in the other direction does not change.
- UT 05:05 exin focal pair (at 80 deg elevation - this is about as high as I am comfortable going, since we have seen trailing at el>80).
- UT 05:11 I am taking a pair of 100-sec in-focus images at this field which just rose above 80-deg elevation, to see if there is evidence of rotational trailing and also to get a pair of in-focus images. I took 2 pairs, because the first one used only chip2 (I just scaled the exposure time of the copointing OB - I edited it to use the 4 chips).
UT 05:27 Slewed to copointing field for 2020SO.
- UT 05:27 running dofpia here. Elevation is 38 deg. FPIA estimates seeing 1.50"
- UT 05:34 copointing b 053400 r 053356. delta CD is ~7", mirror corrections are <3".
- UT 05:37 running the OB.
- Seeing on the guiders is 1.4" and 1.2".
- Background counts are pretty high (17k on the blue and 12k on the red). These levels are ok, but higher than I had expected. The target is 60 deg from the moon.
- We see the object by blinking a pair of g-SLOAN exposures. At g-SLOAN, the peak is about 500 counts above the background.
- At UT 06 (elev 44), the focus on the guiders is better - 1"/0.8" on blue/red.
- In i_SLOAN (z_SLOAN), the object has ~3000 (1500) ADU above the background.
UT 06:13 I am running the OB again. The focus/collimation looked pretty good, judging from the guide star FWHM values, and we should hand over to PEPSI soon.
- UT 06:15 FWHM is 1.2", 1.1" on guiders.
- UT 06:32 Stopped the sequence to reconfigure for PEPSI.
UT 06:47 - still stuck on authorizing, waiting for swing arms to finish move before trying anything
UT 07:14 - still working on SX authorization issue. J. Williams talking Y.Zhang.
UT 07:19 - still working on authorization issue.
UT 07:22 - AZcam server for SX for PEPSI had hung, restarting.
-now reauthorizing again
UT 07:24 -- success
UT 07:35 - acquiring poitnting stars - some issue with focus being off, now fixed
UT 07:49 - starting science for first PEPSI target
UT 08:10 - slewing to 2nd target
UT 09:03 -slewing to 4th target
UT 10:09 - moving to final target
UT 10:33 - finished with PEPSI, reconfigruing for Bino-MODS
UT 10:49 - pointing check
-forgot to open hatch, all ok now
UT 11:03 sending binary acquisition script
UT 11:12 - 60 sec cant see, trying 120sec if can't see it then , will switch to imaging
UT 11:16 - can't see it in 120sec switching to imaging g and r
-MODS1 there's a huge glint in MODS1 that seems to affect the background, i see a smudge in MODS-2, although it doesn't quite look in the right place.
UT 11:18 - running 180sec exposures in g and r-sloan with 4 pt dither (+/-15")
UT 11:40 - can stil see it faintly in all channels seeing ranging from 1-1.2" but a bit more variable than earlier
UT 11:55 - MODS2R
0011 the stars all jumped - DO NOT USE
-WFS/Guider showing 1" at airmass 1.9!
UT 12:10 - hitting 30 elevation limit, letting MODS-2 readout now then stopping
UT 12:14 - attempting to do skyflats for MODS using blank field 04 +25
-MODS1 got stuck ---trying again
UT 12:25 - trying 10sec exposures ... probably still too dark
idling for skyflats
UT 12:30 trying agan
0020 ; M2B
0019 (offsets -30,-30)
5-6k for MODS2, 3-4k for MODS1
0020 (offsets -30,-30) counts 5-6k, 8-9l
0021 (offsets -20,-20) counts 8-9k, 11-12k
0022 (offsets -20,-10), 12-17j, 21-24k
0023 (offsets -10, -10, exptime 10seconds) ~20k counts
0024 (offsets 0,0, exptime 5seconds) 8-12k, 15-16k
0025 (offsets 5,5 exptime 5 seconds) 13-20k, 23k
0026 (offsets 10,10 exptime 3 seconds) 25k
UT 12:48 - closing up, got decent skyflats
Calibrations g and r internal flats
UT 13:25 - putting both MODS to sleep
- 22 Sep 2020