Telescope Bootstrap Startup: 13 September 2012 UT
Observer: JHill (LBTO), OKuhn(Tucson)
Telescope Operator: GBechetti (LBTO)
Software Support: CBiddick (Tucson)
AO Support: DMiller (Tucson)
Telescope Support: MMidkiff (LBTO)
Instrument Support: ESolheid (LBTO)
Sky was clear. The first half had heavy fog. The second half had less fog, but still large quantities of water dripping off the dome.
We did lots of closed dome testing: more MODS1 calibrrations by Olga, LBTI DX AOS testing by Vidhya, and general TCS testing of 2012G by
John and Geno.
Issue 4214: GSC can't communicate with AGW1 and AGW2 for homing.
MODS1 AGw Check
I've used GCS to read the guider and wfs images from MODS. They look fine in the dark
with the hatch closed. The images are stored in /home/LBTO/AGW_Data/20120912_MODS/.
(The traditional location of /OldRepository/AGW_Data is not writeable.)
We've seen the sun, and our vitamin D levels are stimulated.
Thus, we are removing the retroreflector and configuring the telescope
for MODS starting at 1:00 UT. Note however, that we are still very close to the dewpoint, so it could be a long foggy night. At 00:00 UT, the are thunderstorms in San Carlos and in Redington moving ESE. It looks like one with go south of us, and the other north.
Doug fixed IDL in the LBTO account, and added LBTIR and LBTIL as instrument options.
Things are never dull here
01:30 The crane scale battery dies while removing the retroreflector.
01:35 While looking for the battery, Elliot discovers a pool of glycol (~5 gallons) that
has leaked out of the LUCI chiller next to the bell jar. The leak is cause by a cracked
fitting. The rate of the leak is about that of a hypoderimic needle, so it has probably been
leaking all day. Leak management and retroremoval continue in parallel.
02:25 The fog bank has caught up to us. Humidity is 98%, although the sky above is clear.
03:55 All the convective activity in southern Arizona has ended, but here we are sitting in a fog bank with 99% humidty. T=7 degC.
More MODS Calibrations
04:00 At zenith with dome dark for Olga to take more MODS1 calibrations.
- Finishing up the set of calibrations not done last night. mods1?.20120913.nnnn.fits
- doBias (2-11),
- prbias (12-16),
- prflats_b.cal (b 17-21 Vflat 5 ~40k counts max w clear, 22-26 ~35 counts max w/ UG5),
- prflats_r.cal (r 17-21 Vflat 4 GG495 ~30k counts max),
- prlamps_b.cal (b 27 ok,28 ok,)29 Kr and 30 Xe both have very saturated lines at red end),
- prlamps_r.cal (r 22-25)
- prlamps.cal (b 31-34 , r 26-29) and
- timeout on calmode, retry OK
- b 35-44
- u_sdss using QTH2 is saturated!
- g_sdss w VFLAT 4 44k,50k,..57k --- looks like VFLAT gets brighter with time since turning it on (see mods1b.20120913.0040-0044.fits) VFLAT was off for ~50 minutes prior to this;
- r 30- 42 imflats.cal i_sdss and z_sdss flats saturated.
- r_sdss w VFLAT 2 has 60k counts max, i_sdss is completely saturated with VFLAT 1.5 and 15s, z_sdss at VFLAT 1.5 and 8s is also saturated - aborted sequence before script ended), imflats_b.cal, imflats_r look like they use the same settings as imflats.cal so I will not do these.
- manually take z_sdss flat with 2 seconds VFLAT 2 ---> #43 (60k counts max)
- VFLAT 1 and 2 seconds ---> #44 (3000 counts max).
- VFLAT 2 and 2 seconds ---> #45 (65k max)
- VFLAT 2 and 1.5 seconds ---> #46 (52k max)
- manually take i_sdss flat with VFLAT 2 and 1.5 seconds ---> #47 (30k) 4 more: 48-51.
- four more z_sdss flats with VFLAT 2 and 2 seconds ---> 52-54...
- four more z_sdss flats with VFLAT 2 and 1.5 seconds ---> 55-58.
- Collimator TTF need to be entered still, but they did not change much.
- Plan tonight for MODS - if we open - is to observe a Stone field to check alignment (StoneO_1136 has a good RA for the start of the night). Scripts are in /home/LBTO/kuhn/MODS/StartupScripts/AlignCheck/
- First just one dual imaging snapshot of 30-seconds, StoneO_1136_act0.img
- Next four track presets to the same RA,DEC but different PAs: StoneO_1136_trk0.img, StoneO_1136_trk180.img and StoneO_1136_trk90.img and StoneO_1136_trk270.img (in pairs separated by 180 degrees since the IRAF rotcenter task requires this).
- Finally, two scripts do 5-dice: StoneO_1136_act0_5dicexy.img uses
offsetxy x y abs to make absolute detector offsets and StoneO_1136_act0_5dice.img uses
offset x y abs to make absolute RA,DEC offsets. The grid spacing is 10 arcseconds for each.
04:10 Open vent doors partway to cool the chamber. Still foggy, but the chamber is 8 degC above the dewpoint.
06:30 After brief drop in humidity we are back up to 98%.
Authorize LUCI on both sides
Turn on LFBG/RFBG rotators
Turn on AGW1 and AGW2 - AGW2 gets an RPC error.
LBTI AO tests on DX
06:45 Vidhya is sending test LBTI presets while Geno exercises the AGWs.
07:00 reboot agw-control to restart oacserver
AGW selection error for LUCIs
08:03 failure of AGW selection when authorizing LUCI on both sides.
Stop and restart both GCSs
08:08 Same failure again
08:09 Authorize MODS/None and AGW selection succeeds.
08:11 Authorize LUCI/None makes the same failure.
08:15 Power off both AGWs. Stop GCSs. Reboot agw-control.
Authorize LUCI/LUCI repeats the same failure. tcslog says the error is at the homing of the stages. Geno gets "Network Error" when he tries to home probe by hand.
08:30 Power off both AGWs, reboot oacontrol, but do NOT restart GCS
08:30 Resuming MODS calibrations: Edited version of imflats_r.cal to reduce exptime for r to 15 sec (25k counts), and use VFLAT 2 and exptime 1.5 for i and z. Note these are red-only so not quite the same as the ones on which the scaling was made earlier.
- VFLAT brightening during first (r_sdss mods1r #59-63) sequence
08:38 now the manual home command works
08:41 start GCSs. Now AGW works OK on the left side.
AGW Pupil Check
AGW1 @ LFBG
Images are in /home/lbto/AGW_Data/20120913_AGW1
Low Lights on
wfs 0001 - SX M3 was not in place
AGW2 @ RFBG
Images are in /home/lbto/AGW_Data/20120913_AGW2
08:53 DX M3 is at the Andrew/Lee/Bob position of 20120904.
wfs 0001 - 0 deg
wfs 0002 - 90 deg
wfs 0003 - 180 deg
wfs 0004 - 270 deg
Oops, the above were with the probe at the home/park position at the edge of the field.
AGW1 @ LFBG
09:02 back to SX: setGSsfp left
to put probe in center.
wfs 0005 - 0 deg 10 sec
wfs 0007 - 90 deg
wfs 0008 - 180 deg
wfs 0009 - 270 deg
AGW2 @ LFBG
09:22 setGSsfp right
wfs 0005 - 0 deg 10 sec
wfs 0006 - 90 deg
wfs 0007 - 180 deg
wfs 0008 - 270 deg
Geno measures time for a 360 rotation of the rotator
RFBG: 105 sec
LFBG: 6 min
LDG: 105 sec
Change from 2012G to 2012F
09:40 start switching
09:52 running 2012F (had a problem with RPC Server on obs2)
09:54 authorizing LUCI/None succedes.
09:55 authorizing LUCI/LUCI succedes.
some other error on LBTI/LBTI
10:07 authorizing LUCI/LUCI succedes.
10:09 authorizing LBTI/LBTI succedes
11:00 Hygrometer on the roof reads 74%, but water is dripping everywhere off the dome.
- 13 Sep 2012